Setting up a hard disk with HDMAINT
It was time again to set up a new computer. Since I still had an IBM compatible case and a 2nd XT 5160 (64-256KB) motherboard, I decided for operating system CP/M-86 Version 1.10. I already have a normal XT 5160 (256-640KB) as test computer for my many floppy disk drives.
- IBM XT 64-256KB system board, 256KB, BIOS: U18=1501512, U19=6359116, date: 11/08/82
- IBM Monochrome Display and Printer Adapter (MDA), 1501483
- Quadboard (256KB, as COM2, RTC not used with CP/M-86)
- IBM Async Card, COM1, in Slot 8!, 1501485
- IBM Floppy Disk Controller, 1501484
- Floppy A: - ALPS DFC222B02A (360KB)
- Floppy B: - Shugart SA455 (360KB)
- IBM Fixed Disk Controller, Xebec, 62X0786
- Seagate ST225
- Partition, cyl 000-115, PC-DOS 3.30
- Partition, cyl 116-358, CP/M-86
In this article I would like to report about my installation of a new hard disk within CP/M-86 with the little help of PC-DOS 3.30 and SpeedStor 6.03.
Step by step
- Boot: PC-DOS from floppy
- SpeedStor: low level formatting (LLF) and MediaAnalysis
- Fdisk: create (only) 1st partition (4MB)
- I use this partition for test purposes under DOS. Later you only have to reset the boot flag with FDISK or HDMAINT! The boot manager XFDISK unfortunately only works with a 286 or higher.
- ... 22Disk on my (other) PC
- ... serial file transfer