- Duncan, Ray (1988): The MS-DOS encyclopedia, Versions 1.0 through 3.2, Microsoft Press, ISBN 1-55615-049-0
- Minasi, Mark (1992): The Complete PC Upgrade and Maintanance Guide, Sybex, ISBN 0-89588-840-8
- Mueller, Scott (1988): Upgrading and Repaiting PCs, 1st Edition, Que Corporation, ISBN 0-88022-395-2
(This book is highly recommended if you need information about the IBM PC/XT/AT family.)
- Mueller, Scott (1992): Upgrading and Repaiting PCs, 2nd Edition, Que Corporation, ISBN 0-88022-856-3
- Sandler, Corey (1997): Fix your own PC, 4th Edition, MIS Press, ISBN 1-55828-548-2
- Tooley, Michael (1988): Servicing Personal Computers, 2nd Edition, Heinemann Newnes, ISBN 0-434-91975-6
Floppy disk drives
Here are two essays that I can highly recommend.
- The Floppy User Guide (en) (58 KByte)
- www.controllersandpcs.de: Das Diskettensubsystem (de) (1,4 MByte)
- The Kaypro Profiles Magazine, archived at Archive.org by Jason Scott. Kaypro published and subsidized ProFiles: The Magazine for Kaypro Users, a monthly, 72-page, four-color magazine that went beyond coverage of Kaypro's products to include substantive information on CP/M and MS-DOS; frequent contributors included Ted Chiang, David Gerrold, Robert J. Sawyer, and Ted Silveira.
- The Micro Cornucopia Magazine, archived at Archive.org by Jason Scott. Micro Cornucopia was a 1980s microcomputer magazine for hobbyists and enthusiasts, published in Bend, Oregon by David J. Thompson, a former Tektronix engineer.
Here is an interesting correspondence from 2005 between Herb Johnson and Charles Guzis regarding the software products of Sydex. Sydex has in the past distributed the products 22DISK, Teledisk, AnaDisk and 22NICE. Since 1989 it is no longer possible to purchase a registered version of 22DISK with the complete CP/M definition list. Unfortunately, the shareware versions only contain a shortened list.
Once in, always in. The list can still be found on the internet. The original list (cpmdisks.def) has a size of 85 or 87 KB! The shareware list is only 35 KB in size.(04.03.2018 / 21.02.2019)